The office of Vital Statistics is responsible for the coding and archiving of Birth and Death Certificates for Champaign County.
All residents that were born in Ohio or have died in Champaign County since 1909 may obtain a certified certificate from the health district. All of this information is also filed with the Ohio Department of Health.
Certified copies of certificates are $21.50 via cash, credit card, or check made payable to the Champaign Health District.
In order to obtain a certificate you must provide the following information:
- Name (at birth or death)
- Mother’s Maiden Name
- Father’s Name
- Date (of birth or death)
You may obtain a certified birth or death certificate by:
- Walking into our offices Monday through Friday from 8:00AM until 5:00PM (usual wait time is 5 to 15 minutes)
- Mailing your request to our office with the above listed information, a check for $21.50, a contact telephone number, and a self-addressed stamped envelop (Certificate mailed within three business days)
- On-line at champaignhd.com (Payment by check at our office required. Certificate mailed within three business days or can be picked up the following business day)
- With a credit card online through VitalChek
In addition to certified birth and death certificates, Vital Statistics provides the following services:
- Burial permits: required by law for burial of human remains in a cemetery or cremation.
- Supplemental Affidavits: Additions or corrections made to Death records by coroner or physician.
- Affidavits: for corrections allowed by law to both birth and death records. There is no cost to the public.
- Notary: Our registrar has an Ohio Notary Commissions and is available to notarize documents free of charge. We reserve the right to refuse this service if proper identification is not available or if the document has been improperly completed. Service is at the discretion of the Notary on duty.
- Genealogy Research: Our staff is available for searches during working hours. However, extensive searches are conducted as time allows. We do accept requests for research through the mail and will return information requested as soon as time allows. No copies of documents are issued.